Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Beach Dreams

Good day to all of you... a change of scenery today - a beach scene "just because" it is getting warmer and summer is on the way. This was a requested painting for a very special lady and hopefully it will help her drift away and dream of the beach and relaxing
This painting was really different for me - it was done ENTIRELY with a PALETTE KNIFE
I had a good time with this and enjoying using the palette knife and all of the effects one can achieve without a brush

This is oil on canvas board 12 x 16 - perfect size for her wall 

Many of you have enjoyed reading about the process of painting and seeing the stages of the work - my work usually takes a lot of time and many layers - 
The palm trees were interesting to try to paint with a palette knife but I think they were fun to do and would have been difficult to get the 3D effect with a brush - these palm trees are really thickly painted and stand out in the painting

I am trying to experiment with styles that are more loose and expressionistic or impressionist - with more of a focus on colour and light so using the palette knife was an exciting experiment and I am pleased 

I have been reading a lot of wonderful blogs by different artists and enjoying learning how to make an art blog - thank you all for your support and your comments 

I am off to create more ...

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE how the beach painting turned out and I'm in LOVE with the palm trees too. You really made them come alive with your palette knife technique. You should be proud of yourself for creating such a beautiful painting...Keep up the GREAT work!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH dear you make me feel bad look how clean those knives are. Next step Claire is when you throw the knives aaside and get in there with your fingers. Ha ha. I love it and I am sure the person you painted it for will also

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Lois... and thanks Ralph! I actually use my fingers sometimes too *its fun* and just got some more disposable gloves as my hands are always totally covered in paint - the palette knives are so fun to paint with... thanks for your comments and positive support, both of you

    ReplyDelete